Prostatitis is an inflammatory disease that is dangerous not only because of its symptoms, such as pain, fever, and the risk of pus, but also because of its consequences. Among them are infertility, impotence, the formation of a malignant tumor in the tissues of the prostate, the transition of the pathology into a chronic form and the spread of infection to all organs of the genitourinary system.
Many patients try to find a cure for prostatitis on their own, without resorting to the help of doctors, starting the situation and reaching the development of complications. Such tactics are fundamentally wrong. It is easier and faster to cure the acute form of the disease, therefore, at the first suspicious signs indicating the development of a pathology, it is necessary to contact a qualified specialist.
The main cause of acute inflammation of the prostate is considered bacterial infection - it requires the mandatory prescription of antibiotics. The disease in the chronic form is treated longer and more difficult - here the doctor combines immunomodulators, candles, therapeutic massage and physiotherapy.
This material describes what drugs are used to treat prostatitis, about the purpose of their appointment and the conditions for their intake. It is introductory, the list of drugs for prostatitis should not be taken as a guide to action, the final choice of therapy is made by a doctor.
Of course, effective remedies for prostatitis, which developed against the background of bacterial infection, are antibiotics. Also, doctors prescribe drugs of this group not only for the acute, but also for the chronic form of the disease, depending on the type of pathogen, clinical symptoms and taking into account the patient's previous therapy.
The selection of a suitable drug is carried out after the analysis of microflora, taken from the urethral canal by scraping, as well as the results of blood tests by PCR and prostate secretion. Most often, doctors choose the most effective drug for prostatitis from the group of the following antibacterial drugs:
- Fluoroquinolones - drugs based on levofloxacin, ofloxacin and ciprofloxacin;
- tetracycline drugs;
- Cephalosporins - both for internal use and for intramuscular administration;
- protected penicillins;
It is necessary to tell in more detail about the drugs for prostatitis from the listed groups, about their properties, features and groups of microorganisms on which they act.
The fact is that these drugs have the maximum ability to be absorbed into the tissues of the prostate gland, create a cumulative effect there and lead to rapid relief of the inflammatory process.
Here is a list of drugs from the group of fluoroquinolones, which are common to get rid of infectious prostatitis:
- Drug based on levofloxacin. Effective against most pathogenic microorganisms that cause symptoms of prostatitis. The drug quickly penetrates into the prostate tissue, where its concentration becomes four times higher than in the blood. Under the influence of bacteria, they quickly die due to the destruction of cell membranes. The disadvantage is the impossibility of use in tuberculosis, before use it is necessary to conduct an appropriate examination.
- The drug with levofloxacin is available in the form of tablets. Concentrating in the cell membranes of pathogenic bacteria, it quickly acts on ureaplasma, mycoplasma, anaerobes, gonococci and other gram-positive and gram-negative organisms.
- A drug based on ciprofloxacin, which shows high activity against a large number of microorganisms that cause the disease. The main advantage is considered a quick effect on microbial flora, due to which faster recovery occurs.
- Antibiotic with the active ingredient ciprofloxacin. It shows a high resistance to bacteria that are not attacked by drugs from other groups of active substances (penicillins, macrolides, tetracyclines). Accumulates in the prostate tissue and provides a fast-lasting effect.
- The drug for the treatment of prostatitis based on ofloxacin. It acts on a wide range of pathogens and can be prescribed when complex treatment with drugs from the groups of cephalosporins, macrolides and beta-lactam antibiotics is required.
Of course, a fast-acting remedy for prostatitis is an antibiotic from the fluoroquinolone group, but you need to take the drug in the full course recommended by your doctor. If the patient independently cancels the drug after the disappearance of the main symptoms of the disease, the infection becomes a latent (dormant) form and manifests itself in the form of exacerbations of chronic pathology.
Among the drugs of antibacterial groups, tetracyclines were prescribed much less often in the treatment of prostatitis. This is due to the large number of side effects and not very good tolerability by the patients. However, there is a drug that is effective against many pathogens and is recommended by doctors for the acute form of the disease.
The main plus of the drug is the achievement of the maximum concentration of the active substance doxycycline in the tissues of the prostate after a few hours. Not recommended for patients with liver and kidney problems and hypersensitivity to tetracyclines.
Preparations for the treatment of prostatitis in men from the group of cephalosporins show high activity against a wide range of pathogens. These funds allow you to get rid of microbial flora and prostatitis caused by gonococci, E. coli, trichomonas, proteus, klebsiella, enterobacteria and other pathogens.
A detailed list of contraindications for which cephalosporins should not be used in certain patients is presented by the doctor, but in most cases these are problems with the liver and kidney systems, as well as hypersensitivity to this set of drugs.
What drugs for prostatitis from the group of protected penicillins can be used to treat this disease depends on the results of the analysis for the type of pathogen and determining its sensitivity to drugs.
However, these drugs are highly effective in the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, have low toxicity, penetrate well into the intracellular space and do not have a harmful effect on the intestinal microflora. Therefore, as before, they are used in the complex therapy of prostate inflammation, often in combination with cephalosporins.
Doctors also note that drugs from a number of macrolides are very effective in the follow-up period, that is, after the completion of the main therapy, for example, fluoroquinolones or cephalosporins.
List of popular drugs
The pharmaceutical market now offers a lot of drugs, among which it is quite possible to choose an effective remedy for prostatitis, affecting a specific problem. So, the main complaints of men with this diagnosis are:
- pain syndrome;
- loss of full erectile function;
- problems urinating;
- pain and discomfort during intercourse;
- Deterioration in general well-being, a decrease in the body's defenses.
Doctors keep warning patients that they have no idea how many different chemical, herbal and dietary supplements are now being sold to combat the listed symptoms of prostatitis.
But not every one of them will help a man cope with the disease, since the attending physician should select drugs taking into account the form and stage of prostatitis, the cause of its occurrence, clinical symptoms and the age of the patient. Below is a list of the best drugs, according to patients and doctors, but they should be used only on the recommendation of a specialist, taking into account the dosage and the course of therapy.
What kind of drug to take for prostatitis depends not only on the patient's financial capabilities, but also on the manifestations of the disease, its form and stage. It is not recommended to independently purchase any medication, even of plant origin, without prior examination and consultation with a doctor, since there is no universal remedy for prostatitis that will help everyone without exception.
If the drug turns out to be effective in one man, it can simply harm another. Therefore, when treating prostatitis, you need to exercise maximum caution and work with a qualified specialist.